I'm a freelance website designer, developer and marketer living on the Black Isle, near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.
I'm looking forward to working with small businesses, particularly locally in the Highlands - email me if you think I may be able to help you.
Most of my web work so far has been in design and front end development with experience related to small business ecommerce and marketing.
I founded and managed the specialist retail site Music Scotland before selling this business in 2011 to another Scottish music store. Since then I've been working freelance for various clients, most often with PHP and content management systems including ExpressionEngine, Statamic and WordPress. I code using web standards including HTML5 and CSS3 and I design responsive websites that adapt to the viewing size in a wide range of devices, starting with mobile first (read more about small business and web standards).
I also run a self catering holiday house in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. In a former life I was an itinerant musician, latterly with Salsa Celtica and other bands. In an even former life, Edinburgh University gave me an honours degree in Biochemistry (Molecular Genetics). My wife is Maru, and our lovely wee daughter is Alma.
- Music Scotland
- Specialist Scottish and Celtic music CD, DVD and book store. I created this retail website in 1999 and ran it initially singlehandedly, then with staff. Winner of the Scots Trad Music Awards Services To Industry Award 2005. The business was sold as a going concern in March 2011 to Oban Music Ltd. A SellerDeck upgrade was launched in November 2013. Design, development, payment service integration, email marketing, AdWords and support.
- Back Brae Lodge
- Self catering holiday accommodation, Tobermory, Isle of Mull. A responsive design, adapting from mobile to widescreen. Design, development, content management, payment service integration, email marketing and AdWords.
- Greentrax Recordings
- Independent Scottish music label. Responsive re-design launched December 2012 with shopping cart. Design, development, payment service integration, content management, email marketing and support.
- Prof Nick Gilbert's Chromatin Lab
- Genetics research team in Edinburgh. Design, development, content management.
- William Shannon Fine Art
- Easter Ross art dealer. WordPress content management, payment service integration, design and PHP.
- Temple Records
- Independent Scottish and Irish traditional music label featuring Battlefield Band. Design, PHP/MySQL and support.
- Netherton Farm Bed & Breakfast
- B&B accommodation on the Black Isle, between Dingwall and Inverness. Design and content management.
- Mairi MacInnes
- Scottish Gaelic singer and television presenter. Design and content management.