I'm a freelance website designer, developer and marketer living on the Black Isle, near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.
I'm looking forward to working with small businesses, particularly locally in the Highlands - contact me if you think I may be able to help you.
Most of my web work so far has been in design and front end development with experience related to small business ecommerce and marketing.
Some of my main projects at the moment are implementing customised responsive designs for SellerDeck 2014 ecommerce websites (SellerDeck was formerly known as Actinic Catalog).
In 1999 I created the Scottish and Celtic music specialist retail website Music Scotland,
and managed this business before selling it as a going concern in 2011 to another Scottish Music store, Oban Music.
Since then I've been working freelance for various clients, often with PHP/MySQL-based
content management systems including
ExpressionEngine, Statamic and
I code to web standards using HTML5
and CSS3 and design responsive websites that adapt to the viewing size in a wide range of devices, starting with mobile first
(read more about small business and web standards).
I also run a self catering holiday house in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull.
In a former life I was an itinerant musician with Salsa Celtica and other bands.
In an even former life, Edinburgh University gave me a degree in Biochemistry.
SellerDeck 2014 Responsive Projects
- Music Scotland
- Specialist Scottish and Celtic music CD, DVD and book retail website based in Oban, West Highlands of Scotland.
Winner of the Scots Trad Music Awards Services To Industry Award 2005.
A SellerDeck 2014 responsive design upgrade was launched in May 2015.
Design, development, payment service integration, email marketing, AdWords and support.
- Toplightco Ltd
- London-based lighting company dealing in commercial lighting for shops, stores, galleries and homes.
Upgrade of existing Toplightco store to SellerDeck 2014, with third-party add-ons.
Implementation of a customised responsive design for all screen sizes.
- For More Ltd
- Surrey-based dealer in house and garden products.
Upgrade of existing For Food Smokers store to SellerDeck 2014.
Customisation of the Smart Responsive theme for all screen sizes.
- Back Brae Lodge
- Self catering holiday accommodation, Tobermory, Isle of Mull. A responsive design, adapting from mobile to widescreen. Design, development, content management, payment service integration, email marketing and AdWords.
- Greentrax Recordings
- Independent Scottish music label. Responsive re-design launched December 2012 with shopping cart. Design, development, payment service integration, content management, email marketing and support.
- Highland Innovation Centre Ltd
- Creation of fully responsive multi-domain profile site for this Scottish-based medical scientific device company.
Built with HTML5, CSS3 and PHP.
- Bright Seeds Tractorman's Guide
- Applications for mobile web,
iOS Apple App Store and
Android Google Play Store.
A catalogue of seed crops. Hybrid apps built with HTML5, jQuery Mobile and PHP.
- Prof Nick Gilbert's Chromatin Lab
- Genetics research team in Edinburgh. Design, development, content management.
- William Shannon Fine Art
- Easter Ross art dealer. WordPress content management, payment service integration, design and PHP.
- Temple Records
- Independent Scottish and Irish traditional music label featuring Battlefield Band. Design, PHP/MySQL and support.
- Netherton Farm Bed & Breakfast
- B&B accommodation on the Black Isle, between Dingwall and Inverness. Design and content management.
Other clients I've worked with in the past (not on their current site) include: