I'm a freelance website designer, developer and marketer living on the Black Isle, near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands.
I'm looking forward to working with small businesses, particularly locally in the Highlands - contact me if you think I may be able to help you.
Most of my web work so far has been in design and front end development with experience related to small business ecommerce and marketing.
Some of my main projects at the moment are implementing customised responsive designs for SellerDeck 2014 ecommerce websites (SellerDeck was formerly known as Actinic).
In 1999 I created the Scottish and Celtic music specialist retail website Music Scotland, and managed this business before selling it in 2011 to another Scottish music store. Since then I've been working freelance for various clients, most often with PHP/MySQL-based content management systems including ExpressionEngine, Statamic and WordPress. I code using web standards including HTML5 and CSS3 and I design responsive websites that adapt to the viewing size in a wide range of devices, starting with mobile first (read more about small business and web standards).
I also run a self catering holiday house in Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. In a former life I was an itinerant musician, latterly with Salsa Celtica and other bands. In an even former life, Edinburgh University gave me an honours degree in Biochemistry (Molecular Genetics).
- Toplightco Ltd
- London-based lighting company dealing in commercial lighting for shops, stores, galleries and homes.
Upgrade of existing SellerDeck store to SellerDeck 2014 with third-party add-ons.
Implementation of a customised responsive design for all screen sizes from small mobile to desktop.
- Highland Innovation Centre Ltd
- Creation of fully responsive multi-domain profile site for this Scottish-based medical scientific device company.
Built with HTML5, CSS3 and PHP.
- Bright Seeds Tractorman's Guide
- Mobile web application, a catalogue of seed crops. Built with HTML5, jQuery Mobile and PHP.
- Music Scotland
- Specialist Scottish and Celtic music CD, DVD and book store. I created this retail website in 1999 and ran it initially singlehandedly, then with staff. Winner of the Scots Trad Music Awards Services To Industry Award 2005. The business was sold as a going concern in March 2011 to Oban Music Ltd. A SellerDeck upgrade was launched in November 2013. Design, development, payment service integration, email marketing, AdWords and support.
- Back Brae Lodge
- Self catering holiday accommodation, Tobermory, Isle of Mull. A responsive design, adapting from mobile to widescreen. Design, development, content management, payment service integration, email marketing and AdWords.
- Greentrax Recordings
- Independent Scottish music label. Responsive re-design launched December 2012 with shopping cart. Design, development, payment service integration, content management, email marketing and support.
- Prof Nick Gilbert's Chromatin Lab
- Genetics research team in Edinburgh. Design, development, content management.
- William Shannon Fine Art
- Easter Ross art dealer. WordPress content management, payment service integration, design and PHP.
- Temple Records
- Independent Scottish and Irish traditional music label featuring Battlefield Band. Design, PHP/MySQL and support.
- Netherton Farm Bed & Breakfast
- B&B accommodation on the Black Isle, between Dingwall and Inverness. Design and content management.
Other clients I've worked with in the past (not on their current site) include:
Sterling Locks *
Mairi MacInnes *
Feisean Nan Gaidheal *
Scots Fiddle Festival *
Hamish Moore *
Salsa Celtica *
Martyn Bennett *
Garvie Bagpipes *
Carnyx & Co *
Christine Kydd *